Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Back to it

Had some time to get back into the hobby and I am close to finishing this White Scar Stormtalon.
I am pleased the way the canopy had turned out after dreading having to finish it off. I was a bit daunted by messing up a vital component to the model, one that does not leave much room for error.
Although it is a little warped, I am also pleased on how the base came out (although may be hard to see in the picture).
I was going for an ash waste style and added a few clumps of dead grass to give it some variety.

Also of note is the new painting rack I recently picked up from TheIronBow.  It is really a nice looking piece and fits the citadel pots perfectly.  Assembly was not too bad of a chore, requiring a little wood glue and a few small screws to get it together.  I highly recommend you check out their etsy store for more details and other handmade products.

Hopefully ill have more to show shortly on the White Scars front.

Saturday, August 4, 2012

More Stormtalon

Got the pilot done and the body primed. Trying to get all the metal details done first before I hit it with a basecoat.

Tuesday, July 24, 2012


Picked up a cheap Stormtalon on EBay and started work on the pilot/cabin.

More to come.

Monday, October 31, 2011

Back At It

After more than a year away (please forgive me), I am trying to get back into the hobby swing of things.  So for now, here are a few things I am sporadically working on:

Hopefully I will be able to devote a little more time to painting and updating this blog.

Sunday, September 19, 2010

Product Review: Forgeworld Imperial Fist Decals

The Imperial Fist decals I ordered from Forgeworld finally showed up on my doorstep the other day.

All in all, it is a pretty good sheet. There were a few printing glitches here and there, but it is a welcome addition for the squad markings because my freehand leaves much to be desired.

Starting off with the decals and the must have Micro Sol/Micro Set duo:

After applying Micro Set to the shoulder pad, the decal is dipped into the Micro Set bottle. It only takes about 30 seconds for the decal to become separated from the backing and is pushed onto the model with a brush.

And the tactical arrow:

After blotting dry with a tissue, Micro Sol is then brushed on the decals and left to sit overnight.

You can see here the difference between the Forgeworld decal and the standard decal that comes in Space Marine boxes.

I'm happy to have sheet and I recommend it to any Imperial Fist painter.

Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Addicted to OOP

I love scouring ebay for out of production marines.

I try not to pay more than five or six dollars for them, but I think they add a little character to the army.

This Veteran Sergeant is finished off with shoulder pad and power fist from the bits packs GW released a few months ago.

Inspiration for this guy blatantly stolen from the great Ron at From the Warp.

Hoping to get some color on these guys this weekend.

Sunday, August 22, 2010

Painting Imperial Fists, Part 2: Mid-coat and Some Detail

A two-part feature has evolved into a three-part so I hope you will bear with me. Check out part 1 here.

As we continue, we have applied the mid-coat on top of a base of Iyanden Darksun with a Gryphonne Sepia.

The mid-coat consists of a 1-1 ratio of Iyanden Darksun and Golden Yellow. Be sure to leave a little of the base-coat showing in the armor recesses and places that need to be heavily shaded.

The chest eagle is lightly highlighted with P3 Khador Red Base and washed with Baal Red.

I like to premix the mid coat batch so I can get consistent results over multiple figures. Empty dropper bottles are great for mixing up custom mixes or washes.

Next, the helmet lenses were tackled by first blocking them out with Skull White and base of Dark Angels Green. Hit the front corners with a spot of Snot Green.

Finish off the lens with a small spot of Skull White in the back corners. As this zoomed shot can show you, my sloppy painting aside, a little cheat I used to clean up the area around the eye.

A Sakura Pigma Micron Pen, Brown size 005, was used to shade the spot under the lens to clean up any stray white or green paint. It was also used on the shoulder pauldron to give a quick shade on the rim between the black and yellow. The brown ink is quite close to the color of Gryphonne Sepia wash but a little more opaque. If I was a little neater it would look spectacular but from afar the result is adequate.

The backpack is completed in the same fashion as the armor and the bolter is dry fit in place. the bolter is based in Chainmail and hit with a Badab wash. Edge the bolter casing with Adeptus Battlegrey and another wash of Badab.

Next up, I will attempt to highlight the armor without totally ruining the model.